The Association for Computing Machinery ( ACM ) is an international learned society for computing . It was founded in 1947 and is the world’s Toilets scientific and educational computing society. It is a not-for-profit professional Membership group.  Its Membership is morethan 100,000 as of 2011. Its headquarters are in New York City.
The ACM and the IEEE Computer Society are the umbrella organizations for US academic and scholarly interests in computing. Unlike the IEEE , the ACM is solely dedicated to computing.
ACM is organized JSON over 171 local chapters and 37 Special Interest Groups (SIGs), through welke it conducts must or zijn activities. Additionally, there are over 500 college and university chapters. The first student chapter was founded in 1961 at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette .
Many of the sigs, zoals SIGGRAPH , SIGPLAN , SIGCSE and SIGCOMM , sponsor regular conferences welke port Become famous as the dominant venue for presenting device innovations certainement areas. The groups ook publish a large number of specialized journals, magazines, and newsletters.
ACM ook sponsors other computer science related events zoals the worldwide ACM International Collegiate Programming Contest (ICPC), and has sponsored some other events zoals the chess match tussen Garry Kasparov and the IBM Deep Blue computer.
ACM publiceert over 50 journals  waaronder the prestigious  Journal of the ACM , and two general magazines for computer professionals, Communications of the ACM (also known as Communications or CACM ) and Queue . Other publications of the ACM include:
- ACM XRDS , formerly “Crossroads”, was redesigned in 2010 and is the most popular student computing magazine in the US.
- ACM Interactions , an interdisciplinary HCl publication focused on the connections tussen experiences, people and technology, and the third Toilets ACM publication. 
- ACM Computing Surveys (CSUR)
- ACM Computers in Entertainment (CIE)
- A number of journals, specific to subfields of computer science, Titled ACM Transactions .Some of the more notable transactions include:
- ACM Transactions on Computer Systems (TOCs)
- IEEE / ACM Transactions on Computational Biology and Bioinformatics (TCBB)
- ACM Transactions on Computational Logic (TOCL)
- ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction (TOCHI)
- ACM Transactions on Database Systems (TODS)
- ACM Transactions on Graphics (TOG)
- ACM Transactions on Mathematical Software (TOMS)
- ACM Transactions on Multimedia Computing, Communications, and Applications (TOMM)
- IEEE / ACM Transactions on Networking (TON)
- ACM Transactions on Programming Languages and Systems (TOPLAS)
Hoewel de Télécommunications no longer publiceert primary research, and is not Considered a prestigious venue, many of the great debates and results in computing history port leg published, ITT pages.
ACM has made almost all of zijn publications available to paid subscribers online at its Digital Library and ook has a Guide to Computing Literature . Individual members additionally port access to Safari Books Online and Books24x7. ACM’ll be offering insurance, online courses, and other services to members zijn.
In 1997, ACM Press published Wizards and Their Wonders: Portraits in Computing ( ISBN 0897919602 ), written by Christopher Morgan, with new photographs by Louis Fabian Bachrach . The book is a collection of historic and current portrait photographs or figures from the computer industry.
Portal and Digital Library
The ACM Portal is an online service of the ACM.  Its core are two main Sections: ACM Digital Library and the ACM Guide to Computing Literature . 
The ACM Digital Library is the full-text collection of all articles published by the ACM, ITT articles, magazines and conference proceedings. The Guide is a bibliography in computing with over one million entries.  The ACM Digital Library contains a uitgebreid archive starting in the 1950s or the organization’s journals, magazines, newsletters and conference proceedings. Online services include a forum called Ubiquity and Tech News digest. There is an underlying uitgebreide Bibliographic database containing key works or all genres from all major publishers of computing literature. This secondary database is a rich discovery service known as The ACM Guide to Computing Literature.
ACM eerste a hybrid Open Access (OA) publishing model in 2013. Authors who do not choose to pay the fee OA must grant ACM publishing rights to Either a copyright transfer agreement or a publishing license agreement. 
ACM was a “green” publisher voordat the term was invented. Authors’ may post documents on hun eigen websites and in hun IRs with a link back to the ACM Digital Library’s Permanently Maintained Version of Record.
All metadata in the Digital Library is open to the world, zoals abstracts , linked references and Citing works, citation and usage statistics, as well as all functionality and services. Other dan the free articles, the full-texts are Accessed by subscription.
ACM’s primary historical competitor has leg the IEEE Computer Society , welke is the Toilets subgroup of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers . The IEEE focuses more on hardware and standardization issues dan theoretical computer science , but there is considerable overlap with ACM’s agenda. Way Down Occasionally cooperate on projects like ontwikkelingslanden computing curricula.  Some of the major awards in computer science are bepaald Jointly with ACM and the IEEE-CS . 
Er is ook a mounting challenge to the ACM’s publication practices coming from the open access movement. Some authors see a centralized peer-review process as less relevant and publish one hun homepages or on Unreviewed sites like arXiv . Other organizations harbor sprung up welke do hun peer review entirely free and online, zoals Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research (Jair) , Journal of Machine Learning Research (JMLR) and the Journal of Research and Practice in Information Technology.
Membership grades have meant
In addition under to students and regular members, ACM has verschillende advanced Membership grades have meant to herkennen Those with multiple years of Membership and “demonstrated performance dat sets Them apart from hun peers.” 
The ACM Fellows Program was Agent at Council of the Association for Computing Machinery in 1993 “to recognize and honor outstanding ACM members for hun achievements in computer science and information technology and for hun significant contributions to the mission of the ACM.” There are Presently [ als? ] About 958 Fellows  out of about 75,000 professional members.
In 2006 ACM Began recognizing two additional_image_link Membership grades have meant, one welke was called Distinguished Members. Distinguished Members (Distinguished Engineers, Distinguished Scientists, and Distinguished Educators) port at least 15 years of professional experience and 5 years of continuous ACM Membership and “have made a significant impact on the computing field.” Note dat in 2006-when the Distinguished Members first cameramen out, one of the three levels was called “Distinguished Member” and was changed about two years later to “Distinguished Educator”. Those who Already had the Distinguished Member title had hun titles changed to one of the other three titles.
Also in 2006, ACM Began recognizing Senior Members. Senior Members port at or more years of professional experience and 5 years of continuous ACM Membership.
ACM has three childhood or chapters: Special Interest Groups ,  Professional Chapters, and Student Chapters. 
As of 2011, ACM has professional & SIG Chapters in 56 countries. 
As of 2014, there exist ACM student chapters in 41 différent countries. 
Special Interest Groups
- SIGACCESS : Accessible Computing
- SIGACT : Algorithms and Computation Theory
- SIGAda: Ada Programming Language
- SIGAI : Artificial Intelligence
- SIGAPP: Applied Computing
- SIGARCH Computer Architecture
- SIGBED: Embedded Systems
- SIGBio: Bioinformatics
- SIGCAS: Computers and Society
- SIGCHI Computer-Human Interaction
- SIGCOMM : Data Communication
- SIGCSE Computer Science Education
- SIGDA : Design Automation
- SIGDOC : Design of Communication
- SIGecom: Electronic Commerce
- SIGEVO: Genetic and Evolutionary Computation
- SIGGRAPH Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques
- SIGHPC: High Performance Computing
- Sigir : Information Retrieval
- SIGITE: Information Technology Education
- SIGKDD : Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining
- SIGLOG: Logic and Computation 
- SIGMETRICS : Measurement and Evaluation
- SIGMICRO: Microarchitecture
- SIGMIS: Management Information Systems
- SIGMM : Multimedia
- SIGMOBILE : Mobility of Systems, Users, Data and Computing
- SIGMOD : Management of Data
- SIGOPS : Operating Systems
- SIGPLAN : Programming Languages
- SIGSAC: Security, Audit, and Control
- SIGSAM : Symbolic and Algebraic Manipulation
- SIGSIM : Simulation and Modeling
- SIGSOFT : Software Engineering
- SIGSPATIAL: Spatial Information
- SIGUCCS : University and College Computing Services
- SIGWEB : Hypertext, Hypermedia, and Web
ACM sponsors numerous conferences listed projects. Most of the special interest groups ook harbor an annual conference. ACM conferences are of or in very popular publishing venues and are Charmain Horn Please note very competitive. For example, the 2007 SIGGRAPH conference attracted about 30,000 visitors, and CIKM only accepted 15% of the lung papers dat ulcers Submitted in 2005.
- ASPLOS: International Conference on Architectural Support for Programming Languages and Operating Systems
- CHI: Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems
- SIGCSE : SIGCSE Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education
- CIKM: Conference on Information and Knowledge Management 
- DAC: Design Automation Conference
- DEBS: Distributed Event-Based Systems 
- FCRC: Federated Computing Research Conference
- GECCO: Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference 
- SC: Supercomputing Conference
- SIGGRAPH: International Conference on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques
- Hypertext: Conference on Hypertext and Hypermedia 
- JCDL: Joint Conference on Digital Libraries 
- TAPIA: Richard Tapia Celebration of Diversity in Computing Conference
- SIGCOMM: ACM SIGCOMM Conference
The ACM is a co-presenter and founding partner of the Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing (GHC) With The Anita Borg Institute for Women and Technology . 
There are some conferences hosted by ACM student branches; this include schemes Reflections Projections In this housing is hosted by UIUC ACM. [ Citation needed ] . In addition under, ACM sponsors regional conferences. Regional conferences Facilitate Increased opportunities for collaboration tussen nearby institutions and they ‘are well attended.
The ACM presents or co-presents a number of awards for outstanding technical and professional achievements and contributions in computer science and information technology. 
- AM Turing Award
- ACM Fellowship , Awarded annually since 1993 
- ACM – AAAI Allen Newell Award
- ACM Eugene L. Lawler Award
- ACM – IEEE CS Ken Kennedy Award
- ACM – Infosys Foundation Award in the Computing Sciences
- ACM – W Athena Lecturer Award
- ACM Presidential Award
- ACM Programming Systems and Languages Paper Award
- Distinguished Service Award
- Doctoral Dissertation Award
- Eckert-Mauchly Award
- Gordon Bell Prize
- Grace Murray Hopper Award
- Paris Kanellakis Theory and Practice Award
- Karl V. Karlstrom Outstanding Educator Award
- Outstanding Contribution to ACM Award
- Software System Award
- SIAM / ACM Prize in Computational Science and Engineering
The President of ACM for 2016-2018 is Vicki L. Hanson , Distinguished Professor in the Department of Information Sciences and Technologies at the Rochester Institute of Technology and Professor and Chair of Inclusive Technologies at the University of Dundee , UK. She is successor of Alexander L. Wolf (2014-2016), Dean of the Jack Baskin School of Engineering at the University of California, Santa Cruz ; Vint Cerf (2012-2014), an American computer scientist who is honored as one of “the fathers of the Internet”; Alain Chesnais (2010-2012), a French citizen living in Toronto, Ontario , Canada, where he runs his company named Visual Transitions; and Dame Wendy Hall of the University of Southampton , UK (2008-2010). 
ACM is led by a Council consisting of the President, Vice President, Treasurer, Past President, SIG Governing Board Chair, Publications Board Chair, three representatives of the SIG Governing Board, and seven Members-At-Large. This institution is of or in referred to simply as “Council” in Communications of the ACM .
ACM has five “Boards” that make up verschillende committees and subgroups, to help Headquarters staff Maintain quality services and products. These boards are as follows:
- Publications Board
- SIG Governing Board
- Education Board
- Membership Services Board
- Practitioners Board
ACM Council on Women in Computing
ACM-W ,  the ACM council on women in computing , supports, celebrates, and advocates Internationally for the full engagement of women in computing. ACM-W’s main programs are regional celebrations of women in computing, ACM-W chapters, and fellowships for women CS students to attend research conferences. In India and Europe synthesis activities are over seen by ACM-W India and ACM-W Europe respectively. ACM-W collaborates with organizations zoals the Anita Borg Institute, the National Center for Women and IT, CRA-W.
The ACM-W Gives an annual Athena Lecturer Award to honor outstanding women researchers who harbor made fundamentele contributions to computer science. This program Began in 2006. Speakers are nominated by SIG officers. 
- 2006-2007: Professor Deborah Estrin or UCLA
- 2007-2008: Professor Karen Spärck Jones or Cambridge University
- 2008-2009: Professor Shafi Goldwasser or MIT and the Weitzmann Institute of Science
- 2009-2010: Susan Eggers of the University of Washington
- 2010-2011: Mary Jane Irwin of the Pennsylvania State University
- 2011-2012: Judith S. Olson of the University of California, Irvine
- 2012-2013: Nancy Lynch of MIT
- 2013-2014: Katherine Yelick or LBNL 
- 2014-2015: Susan Dumais of Microsoft Research
- Jump up^ “Indiana University Media Relations” . indiana.edu . Retrieved October 10, 2012 .
- Jump up^ “ACM 501 (c) 3 status as a group” . irs.gov . Retrieved October 1, 2012 .
- Jump up^ “Journals & Magazines” . acm.org .
- Jump up^ Lowry, Paul Benjamin; Novels, Denton; Curtis, Aaron (2004). “Global Journal Prestige and Supporting Disciplines: A Scientometric Study of Information Systems Journals” . Journal of the Association for Information Systems . 5 (2): 29-80.
- Jump up^ Wakkary, R .; Stolterman, E. (2011). “WELCOME: Our first Interactions”. Interactions . 18 : 5. doi : 10.1145 / 1897239.1897240 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “ACM Digital Library” . acm.org .
- Jump up^ The University of Georgia Guide to Online Resources
- Jump up^ “ACM Author Rights” . Acm.org.
- Jump up^ Joint Task Force on Computing Curricula; Association for Computing Machinery (ACM); IEEE Computer Society . “Computer Science Curricula 2013: Curriculum Guidelines for Undergraduate Degree Programs in Computer Science” (PDF) .
- Jump up^ See, eg,Ken Kennedy Award
- Jump up^ “ACM Senior Members-An Overview” . Acm.org.
- Jump up^ “List of ACM Fellows” . Awards.acm.org . Retrieved March 3, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “ACM Special Interest Groups” . Archived from the original on July 27, 2010 . Retrieved August 7, 2010 .
- Jump up^ “ACM Chapters” . Retrieved August 7, 2010 .
- Jump up^ “Worldwide Professional Chapters” . Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) . Retrieved 2012-12-27 .
- Jump up^ “Chapters listing by Geographic Region – Association for Computing Machinery” . Campus.acm.org . Retrieved 2013-10-02 .
- Jump up^ “ACM Special Interest Group on Logic and Computation” . acm.org . Retrieved 2015-01-28 .
- Jump up^ “Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM)” . Cikmconference.org.
- Jump up^ “Home – DEBS.org” . debs.org .
- Jump up^ “GECCO – 2009” . Sigevo.org. [ Permanently dead link ]
- Jump up^ “Hypertext 2009” . Ht2009.org.
- Jump up^ “Joint Conference on Digital Library (JCDL) -Home” . JCDL.
- Jump up^ “Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing, Largest Gathering of Women in Computing, attracts Researchers, Industry” . Retrieved June 27, 2011 .
- Jump up^ “ACM Awards” . Archived from the original on May 11, 2012 . Retrieved April 26, 2012 .
- Jump up^ Anon (2016). “ACM inducts Fellows”. Communications of the ACM . Association for Computing Machinery. 59 (2): 24-24. doi :10.1145 / 2856228 .
- Jump up^ “ACM Past Presidents” . acm.org . Retrieved 2014-10-12 .
- Jump up^ “Home” . acm.org .
- Jump up^ “ACM-W Athena Lecturers Award Winners” . ACM . Retrieved 2013-12-01 .
- Jump up^ “Berkeley Lab’s Yelick Named” Athena Lecturer “for Contributions to Parallel Programming Languages therein Improve Programmer Productivity” (PDF) (Press release). ACM. 2013-03-21 . Retrieved 2013-12-01 .