Christopher Poole (born c. 1988)  is an American entrepreneur. He is best known for founding two web sites, 4chan and Canvas . He started 4chan pseudonymously, under the screen name moot . In 2016 he Began working for Google .
Impact and activity
In 2008, Leopoldo Godoy or Brazilian TV Globo called Poole’s 4chan “the ground zero of Western web culture.” 
In April 2009, Poole was voted the world’s Most Influential Person of 2008 at an open Internet poll conducted by Time magazine.  The results in later questioned as voordat the poll COMPLETED, however, as automated voting programs and manual Ballot stuffing ulcers-used to influence the vote.    4chan’s interference with the vote seemed getting more LIKELY, als it was found that reading the first letter of the first 21 Candidates in the poll spelled out a phrase containing two 4chan memes: “mARBLECAKE. ALSO, THE GAME . ” 
On September 12, 2009, Poole watch a talk on why 4chan has a reputation as a ” Meme Factory” at the Paraflows Symposium in Vienna, Austria, welke was part of the Paraflows 09 festival, themed Urban Hacking . In this talk, Poole Mainly Attributed this to the anonymous system, and to the Lack of data retention on the site ( “The site has no memory”).  
On February 10, 2010, Poole ghosts at the TED2010 conference in Long Beach, California .   He ghosts about the toenemende prevalence of persistent user identities and the sharing of personal information on sites zoals Facebook and Twitter and have’ll be ghosts about the value of anonymous posting on sites zoals 4chan.  Fred Leal of the Brazilian newspaper O Estado de S. Paulo zegt his inclusion in the conference “name ® therein something extraordinary is happening … [4chan] challenges everytime Internet convention: it is, alone, the antithesis of Google, social networking sites, and blogs. ” 
In 2010, Poole was Reported to port raised $ 625,000 to create a new online enterprise, Canvas .   The web site opened on January 31, 2011, and features Digitally modified images uploaded by users who are required to self-Identify using Facebook Connect . 
In April 2010, Poole showing evidence in the Sarah Palin e-mail hacking trial, United States of America v. David Kernell , as a government witness.  As a witness, Poole Explained the terminology-used on 4chan to the prosecutor, ranging from “ON” to “Lurker.” He’ll be Explained to the court the nature of the data bepaald to the FBI as part of the search warrant, zoals how users’ may be indicated with Uniquely from site audit logs. 
In a 2010 interview, Poole discussed his belief in the value of multiple identities, zoals anonymity in contrast to the merger or online and real-world identities occurring on Facebook and many other social networking sites. 
In November 2012, Poole cents a ceasefire and Desist letter to Moot.It, an Internet startup.  
In January 2014, Poole bekend dat Canvas, and its DrawQuest feature, mention anything be going out of business.   
In January 2015, Poole announced dat he mention anything be stepping down as the 4chan administrator.  On January 23, shall hosted a final Q & A with site users using the / qa / board and YouTube to livestream. This Marked the beginning of his “Retirement” from being an administrator and owner of the Web site after eleven-and-a-half years.  He Began a process of turning control of the site over to three anonymous 4chan moderators while searching for a buyer for the website.  On September 21, 2015, it was announced dat Hiroyuki Nishimura , founder of the Japanese BBS 2channel , mention anything takeover as the site’s owner.  
On March 7, 2016 Poole announced dat he had leg Employed by Google at a yet-to-be disclosed position. 
Previously Berninahaus only as moot, Poole’s name was revealed on July 9, 2008, in The Wall Street Journal .  The composition day, Lev Grossman or Time published an interview Describing the influence of Poole as a non-visible administrator as “one of the musts [significantly]” on the evolution of content collaboration. Hoewel de Grossman’s article Began with the confession that ‘I do not even know his real name, “he claimed to Identify moot as Christopher Poole.  Later, on July 10, Grossman admitted dat there was an outside chance dat Christopher Poole was not the real name of moot, Rather an obscure reference to a 4chan inside joke.  The Washington Post concurred that ‘Christopher Poole “Could be” a big hoax, a’ gotcha. ‘ It mention anything be just what you’d Expect from the creator of 4chan. ”  In March 2009, Time backpedaled some what on the identity issue at the Placing moot persona on the 2009 Time 100 finalists list.  Prior to the Wall Street Journal and Time interviews, shall deliberately Kept his real identity separate from 4chan. He told Grossman, “my personal private life is very separate from my Internet life … There’s a firewall in between.”  If moot, he has spoken at conferences at Yale University and Massachusetts Institute of Technology .  A 2008 article in The Observer had im down as “the Most Influential Web entrepreneur you’ve never overheard or” hoewel de he has leg DESCRIBED since dat time in more limited terms zoals a “benefactor.”  
In February 2009, The Washington Post Reported therein Poole had attended Virginia Commonwealth University for a few semesters voordat dropping out. It Reported therein Poole was living with his mother while looking for a way to make money from owning 4chan. 
- Jump up^ Chris Poole part 1/3 ROFLCON 2012 – Solo Panel, Christopher Poole – “I’m 24 years old”YouTubesite, May 10, 2012
- Jump up^ Godoy, Leopoldo (January 21, 2008). “Conheça as button is modinhas que mais bombaram to Internet em 2008” (in Portuguese). G1 . Retrieved 2008-12-21 .
- Jump up^ “The World’s Most Influential Person Is …” . TIME. 2009-04-27 . Retrieved 2009-09-02 .
- Jump up^ Heater Brian (April 27, 2009). “4chan Followers Hack Time’s ‘Influential’ Poll” . PC Magazine . Retrieved 2009-04-27 .
- Jump up^ Schonland, Erick (April 21, 2009). “4chan Takes Over The Time 100” . Washington Post . Retrieved 2009-04-27 .
- Jump up^ “slice profit, Time Inc. hydrochlorides” Music Machinery ” . Musicmachinery.com. 2009-04-27 . Retrieved 2009-09-02 .
- Jump up^ Reddit Top Links. “Marble Cake Also the Game [PIC] ‘ . Buzzfeed.com . Retrieved 2009-09-02 .
- Jump up^ “Paraflows 09” . Paraflows.at. September 12, 2009 . Retrieved 2010-05-18 .
- Jump up^ Herwig, Jana. Partial transcript: Moot on 4chan and why it works as a meme factory,Digiomblog, April 6, 2010. Accessed 2010-04-07
- Jump up^ “TED2010 program or speakers” . TED.com . Retrieved 2010-05-18 .
- Jump up^ Fisher, Ken. 4chan’s moot takes pro-anonymity to TED 2010, Ars Technica , February 11, 2010. Accessed 2010-02-12
- Jump up^ “4chan founder: Anonymous speech is endangered ‘ ‘ . SciTechBlog . CNN.com Blogs. February 12, 2010 . Retrieved 2010-02-12 .
- Jump up^ Leal, Fred (April 19, 2010). “Feio, sujo e Surreal” . O Estado de S. Paulo (in Portuguese). p. L1. Archived from the original on 2010-04-25 . Retrieved 2010-04-25 .
- Jump up^ Cha, Ariana Eunjung (August 10, 2010). “4chan users seize Internet’s power for mass disruptions” . Washington Post . Retrieved August 10, 2010 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Dibbell, Julian (2010-09-10). “Radical Opacity” . Technology Review .
- Jump up^ Jeffries, Adrianne (January 31, 2011). “From the Creator or 4chan Comes the More Mature Canvas” . The New York Observer . Retrieved February 7, 2011 .
- Jump up^ Jamieson, Alastair (August 11, 2010). “Sarah Palin hacker trial zorgt ‘lolz’ courtesy of 4chan founder” . The Daily Telegraph . London.
- Jump up^ Transcript of testimony
- Jump up^ Roy, Jessica (November 19, 2012). “4chan founder Moot Sends Cease & Desist Letter to Startup Moot.It” . Beta Beat .
- Jump up^ Westphall, Travis (November 28, 2012). “Moot Launches $ 10M Lawsuit Against Startup” . Tripfags.com . Archived from the original on 2013-12-10.
- Jump up^ “A very important note from Team Canvas” . Canvas Blog. Archived from the original on January 28, 2014 . Retrieved January 28, 2014 .
- Jump up^ D’Onfro, Jillian (January 21, 2014). “A Classy Way to admit Your Startup is Dead” . Business Insider . Retrieved January 28, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Welch, Chris (January 21, 2014). “4chan founder Chris Poole is shutting down Canvas and DrawQuest for iOS” . The Verge . Retrieved January 28, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “THE NEXT CHAPTER to slice – 21.01.15 @ 11:00 AM EST” . 4chan Blog . Retrieved January 21, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “moot’s final 4chan Q & A with 4chan – 1/23/15 @ 2:00 pm EST” . 4chan . Retrieved January 25, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Kushner, David (March 13, 2015). “4chan’s Overlord Christopher Poole reveals Why He Walked Away” . Rolling Stone . Retrieved June 20, 2015 .
- Jump up^ moot. “Full Circle” . 4chan . Retrieved 21 September 2015 .
- Jump up^ Issac, Mike (September 21, 2015). “4chan Message Board Sold to Founder or 2channel, a Japanese Web Culture Pioneer” . The New York Times . Retrieved September 21, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Poole, Christopher. “My next chapter” . Chris Hates Writing . Retrieved 7 March 2016 .
- Jump up^ Brophy-Warren, Jamin (2008-07-09). “Modest Web Site Is Behind a bevy of Memes” . Wall Street Journal . Retrieved 2008-07-24 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Grossman, Lev (2008-07-09). “The Master of Memes” . Time . 172 (3). United States. pp. 50-51 . Retrieved 2008-07-24 .
- Jump up^ Grossman, Lev (July 10, 2008). “Now in Paper-Vision: The 4chan Guy” . Time . Archived from the original on 2009-01-06 . Retrieved 2008-07-24 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Hesse, Monica (February 17, 2009). “A Virtual Unknown; Meet moot, the secretive Internet Celeb Who Still Lives With Mom” . The Washington Post . pp. 23-24 . Retrieved 2009-04-16 .
- Jump up^ “moot – The 2009 TIME 100 finalists” . Time . March 19, 2009 . Retrieved 2009-09-02 .
- Jump up^ Smith, David (July 20, 2008). “The 20-year-old at heart or web’s most anarchic and Influential site” . London: Observer . Retrieved 2008-07-20 .
- Jump up^ Cohen, Stefanie (February 22, 2009). “Grosses and” Nets ” . New York Post . p. 25 . Retrieved 2009-04-16 .