Glenn Edward Greenwald (born March 6, 1967) is an American lawyer, journalist, speaker and author. He is best known for his role in a series of reports published by the Guardian newspaper, beginning in June 2013 Detailing United States and British global surveillance programs, based on classified documents disclosed by Edward Snowden .  
Early life and education
Greenwald was born in New York City to Arlene and Daniel Greenwald.  Greenwald’s family moved to Lauderdale Lakes, Florida -when he was an infant.    He RECEIVED a BA in Philosophy from George Washington University in 1990 and a JD from New York University School of Law in 1994.  
Greenwald practiced law in the Litigation Department at Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz (1994-1995); In 1996 he co-founded his own litigation firm, called Greenwald Christoph & Holland (later renamed Greenwald Christoph PC), where he litigated cases Concerning issues of US constitutional law and civil rights.   One of his hogere-profile cases was the representation of white supremacist Matthew F. Hale . 
About his work in First Amendment speech cases, Greenwald Told Rolling Stone magazine in 2013, “to me, it’s a heroic attributes to be so committed to a principle that u apply it not-when it’s easy … not-when it supports your position, not-when it Protects people you like, but als it defends and Protects people that u hate “. 
Later, volgens to Greenwald, “I decided voluntarily to wind down my practice in 2005. Because I Could en Because, after at years, I was bored with litigating full-time and wanted to do other things welke I thought ulcers more Engaging and Could make more or an impact, zoals political writing. ” 
In the early 2000s Greenwald was a partner in an LLC . 
Unclaimed Territory and Salon
In October 2005, he Began his blog Unclaimed Territory focuses on the investigation pertaining to the Plame affair , the CIA leak grand jury investigation , the federal indictment of Scooter Libby and the NSA warrantless surveillance (2001-07) controversy. In April 2006, the blog RECEIVED the 2005 Koufax Award for “Best New Blog”. 
In February 2007, Greenwald became a contributing writer for the Salon website, and the new column and blog SupersededPNG Unclaimed Territory , hoewel de Salon prominently features hyperlinks to it in Greenwald’s dedicated Biographical section.  
Among the frequent topics of his Salon articles ulcers the investigation of the 2001 anthrax attacks , and the Candidacy of former CIA official John O. Brennan for the jobs or Either Director of the Central Intelligence Agency (D / CIA) or the next Director of National Intelligence (DNI) after the Confirmation of Barack Obama . Brennan withdrew his name from Consideration for the post after Opposition centered in liberal blogs and led to Greenwald.       Brennan took up the leadership position at the CIA again, in March 2013.
Greenwald left Salon on August 20, 2012 for the American off-shoot of Britain’s Guardian newspaper, for “the opportunity to reach a new audience, to remit internationalize my Readership, and to be re-invigorated by a différent environment” as reasons for the move. 
On June 5, 2013, Greenwald scooped the story on the top secret United States Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court Order Requiring Verizon to bieden the National Security Agency with telephone metadata for all calls tussen de US and ABROAD, as well as all domestic calls.    He was a columnist Until October 2013.   
First Look Media and The Intercept
On October 15, 2013, Greenwald announced and The Guardian Confirmed dat he was leaving to Pursue a “once-in-a-career dream journalistic opportunity dat no journalist Could Possibly decline”.   Financial backing for the new venture was provided by Pierre Omidyar , the eBay founder.   Omidyar Told media critic Jay Rosen dat de decision was fueled by his “rising concern about press Freedoms in the United States and around the world.” Greenwald, Along with his colleagues’ Laura Poitras and Jeremy Scahill, ulcers initially working on customizing a place online to support independent journalism, als ze ulcers approached by Omidyar who was looking to start his own media organization. The venture is for-profit (Rather dan nonprofit charity) and it will be funded by Omidyar Personally Limit download through the Omidyar Network. 
That news organization, First Look Media , launched zijn first online publication, called The Intercept on February 10, 2014.  Greenwald Serves as editor, alongside Laura Poitras and Jeremy Scahill
Greenwald has Appeared as a round table guest on ABC ‘s Sunday morning news show This Week , HBO ‘s Real Time with Bill Maher , Comedy Central ‘s The Colbert Report , NPR ‘s All Things Considered , C-SPAN ‘s Washington Journal ; Pacifica Radio ‘s syndicated series Democracy Now! with Amy Goodman ;  on Public Radio International ‘s To the Point ; MSNBC ‘s Rachel Maddow Show , Morning Joe , The Last Word with Lawrence O’Donnell , Up with Chris Hayes , and Dylan Ratigan ‘s Morning Meeting ; Fox News ‘ Special Report with Brit Hume ,. 
Greenwald has a leg regular guest on the Hugh Hewitt Show and on PBS ‘s Bill Moyers Journal .   
On September 15, 2014, he was a headline speaker at Kim Dotcom ‘s Moment of Truth town hall meeting held in Auckland , New Zealand. 
Greenwald’s first book, How Would a Patriot Act? Defending American Values From a President Run Amok , was published by Working Assets in 2006. It was a New York Times bestseller ,  and ranked # 1 on Amazon.com zowel voordat zijn publication (due to pre-orders based on attention from “UT” readers and other bloggers) and for verschillende days after zijn release, ending zijn first week at # 293. 
A Tragic Legacy , his second book, gekeken the Presidency or George W. Bush . Published in hardback by Crown (a division of Random House ) on June 26, 2007, and reprinted in a paperback edition by Three Rivers Press on April 8, 2008, it was a New York Times Best Seller .
His third book, Great American Hypocrites: Toppling the Big Myths of Republican Politics , was published by Random House in April 2008, the co-month therein Three Rivers Press reissued A Tragic Legacy in paperback.  
His fourth book, With Liberty and Justice for Some: How the Law Is Used to Destroy Equality and Protect the Powerful , was released by Metropolitan Books in October 2011.
Greenwald’s fifth book, No Place to Hide: Edward Snowden, the NSA, and the US Surveillance State , was released in May 2014.  It spent six weeks on the New York Times Bestseller List,  and was named one of the 10 Best Non Fiction Books of 2014 by The Christian Science Monitor . 
Global surveillance disclosure
Contact with Edward Snowden
Greenwald was first contacted by Edward Snowden , a former contractor of the US National Security Agency , in late 2012.  Snowden contacted Greenwald anonymously and zegt have had “sensitive documents” that he mention anything like to share.  Greenwald found the maatregelen therein the source Asked im to take to secure hun communications too bothersome to Employ.  Snowden-then contacted documentary filmmaker Laura Poitras about a month later in January 2013. 
Volgens to The Guardian , what oorspronkelijk attracted Snowden to zowel Greenwald and Poitras was a Salon article penned by Greenwald Detailing how Poitras’ controversial films had made re a “target of the government.”   Greenwald Began working with Snowden in February Either  or in April, after Poitras Asked Greenwald to meet re in New York City, at welke point Snowden Began Providing documents to Them zowel. 
As part of the global surveillance disclosure , the first of Snowden’s documents were published on June 5, 2013 in The Guardian in an article by Greenwald. Volgens to im, Snowden’s documents Exposed the “scale of domestic surveillance under Obama.” 
The series on welke Greenwald worked Contributed to the win at The Guardian (alongside The Washington Post ) of the Pulitzer Prize for Public Service in 2014.  
Detention of David Miranda
In August 2013, the Metropolitan Police Detained Greenwald’s partner David Miranda at London’s Heathrow Airport under Schedule 7 of the Terrorism Act 2000 , after he had Flown in from Berlin and was changing to a plane bound for home in Rio de Janeiro.   His belongings ulcers seized, zoals an external hard drive zegt to be containing sensitive documents relevant to Greenwald’s reporting welke ulcers encrypted with TrueCrypt encryption software. 
Greenwald DESCRIBED his partner’s detention as “CLEARLY intended to send a message or intimidation to Those of us who harbor leg reporting on the NSA and GCHQ “.  Miranda was Detained for nine hours and his laptop and other items seized ulcers. He has since Attempted to sue the Metropolitan Police for misuse or hun powers. Volgens to The Guardian , the claim, “challenged controversial powers used under schedule 7 to the Terrorism Act 2000, maintains dat Miranda was not involved in terrorism and says his right to freedom of expression was curtailed.” 
Volgens to a later article in The Guardian , Miranda was found to harbor leg carrying a combination an external hard drive containing 58,000 highly classified UK intelligence documents, and his detention was ruled Lawful by the UK High Court , welke accepted dat Miranda’s detention and the seizure of computer material was “an indirect interference with press freedom” but zegt this was justified by legitimate and “very pres sing” interests of national security. 
Members of the Joint Committee on Human Rights (JCHR) in the British parliament zegt dat allowing police to stop and search suspects at airports without suspicion was “not inherently incompatible” with human rights. MPs and peers zegt ze Agreed anti-terror officers arnt be loveable to “stop, question, request documentation and Physically search persons and property” as als ze did not have reasonable suspicion dat an offence had leg committed, but urged the government to introductory new restrictions on powers zoals strip-searches, detentions and searches of the contents of electronic devices zoals laptops and smartphones, and zegt dat these “more Intrusieve” maatregelen arnt tasks place only-when officers had reasonable suspicion dat someone was involved in terrorism. 
In December 2013, Greenwald and Miranda advocated for asylum in Brazil for Edward Snowden in exchange for the fugitive leaker’s cooperation in investigating the NSA.  Brazil’s government indicated it was not interested in investigating the NSA. 
National Congress of Brazil
In a statement delivered voordat the National Congress of Brazil in early August 2013, Greenwald testified dat de US government had-used counter-terrorism as a PRETEXT for clandestine surveillance in order to COMPETE with other countries in the “business, industrial and economic fields.”   
On December 18, 2013, Greenwald Told the European Union’s Committee on Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs that ‘musts Governments around the world are not only turning hun backs on Edward Snowden but ook hun on ethical responsibilities “.  Speaking via a video link, Greenwald Asserted that ‘It is the UK through hun interception of underwater fiber optic cables, dat is a primary threat to the privacy of European Citizens als it comes to hun telephone and e-mails. ” Volgens to a statement bepaald to the European Parliament at Greenwald:
The ultimate goal of the NSA, Along met haar must loyal, one Might say subservient junior partner the British agency GCHQ – als it comes to the reason why the system or suspicion of surveillance is being built and the objective of this system – is nothing less dan the elimination of individual privacy worldwide– Glenn Greenwald 
Greenwald is critical or action Jointly supported by Democrats and Republicans, writing: “The sausage and must tyrannical government actions in Washington are equally supported on a ‘fully bipartisan basis.”  In the preface to his first book, How Would a Patriot Act? (2006), Greenwald Opens with some of his own personal political history, Describing his “pre-political self than Neither liberal nor conservative as a whole, voting Neither for George W. Bush nor for ANY of his Rivals (indeed, not voting at all). 
Bush’s election by to the US Presidency “changed” Greenwald’s previous uninvolved political attitude toward the electoral process “completely”, and in 2006 he wrote:
About the Past five years, a creeping extremisme has tasks hold of our federal government, and it is threatening to radically alter our system of government and who we are as a nation. This extremisme is Neither conservative nor liberal in nature, but is Limit download driven by theories of unlimited presidential power therein are wholly alien, and antithetical, to the core political values therein harbor governed this country since zijn founding “for” the fact down therein seizure or ever-Expansion presidential power is largely justified through endless, rank fear-mongering-fear or terrorists, specifiek-Means therein not only our system or government is radically changing, but so, too, are our national character, our national identity, and what it Means to be American. ” 
Believing that ‘It is Incumbent’s upon all Americans who believe in dat system, bequeathed to us by the founders, to défend it-when it is under assault and in jeopardy. And today it is “, he says:” I did not arrive at synthesis Conclusions eagerly or Because I was predisposed to ANY previous bipartisan viewpoint. Quite the Contrary. ” 
Resistant to Dankzij Levensbeschouwelijke labels to himself, he emphasizes dat he is a strong advocate for US constitutional “balance of powers”  and for constitutionally-protected civil and political rights in his Writings and public appearances. 
Greenwald Frequently writes about the War on Drugs and criminal justice reform. He is a member of the advisory board of the Brazil chapter of Law Enforcement Against Prohibition .   Greenwald was ook the author or a 2009 white paper published by the Cato Institute Titled Drug Decriminalization in Portugal: Lessons for Creating Fair and Successful Drug Policies , Exploring the role of drug policy or Portugal . 
He criticized the policies of the Bush administration and Those who supported it, arguing dat musts of the American “Corporate News Media” excused Bush’s policies and echoed the administration’s positions Rather dan Asking hard questions.  
Regarding civil liberties prolongation the Obama Presidency, he elaborated on his conception of change-when he zegt, “I think the only Means or true political change will come from people working outside of that [two-party electoral] system to undermine it, and subvert it, and weaken it, and destroy it; not try to work binnen it to change it. ”  He did, however, raise money for Russ Feingold ‘s bid in 2010 Senate re-election by,  Bill Halter ‘s 2010 primary challenge to Democratic Sen. Blanche Lincoln ,  as well as verschillende Congressional Candidates in 2012 DESCRIBED as “unique”. 
Greenwald is critical or Israel’s foreign policy and influence on US politics,  a stance for welke he has in turn leg the subject of criticism,   welke successively elicited some criticism towards Those authors. 
He is critical of what he calls the distorted version of ” Godwin’s law ” to be prima facie reject ANY comparison to Nazism. He convinced there are instances where industry leaders vergelijkingen are warranted. 
Greenwald criticized the prison conditions in welke US Army Private Chelsea Manning , the convicted WikiLeaks leaker (dan known as Bradley), was held after re judgment in military autoriteiten.  As a supporter of Manning, Greenwald Describing re as “a whistle-blower acting with the noblest of motives” and “a national hero similar to Daniel Ellsberg .” 
Greenwald has leg placed on numerous “Top 50” and “top 25” lists or Columnists in the United States.          In June 2012, Newsweek magazine named im one of America’s Top 10 Opinionists, saying that ‘a righteous, controlled, and razor-sharp fury runs through a great deal “or his writing, and” His independent persuasion kan make im a danger or an asset to zowel sides of the Aisle. ” 
Volgens to Nate Anderson, writing in Ars Technica , around 2010/2011 Aaron Barr or HBGary and Team Themis Planned to damage Greenwald’s career as a way to responding to a potential dump of Bank of America documents by WikiLeaks, saying that ‘Without the support or people like Glenn wikileaks mention anything fold. ” 
Josh Voorhees, writing in slate.com , Reported therein in 2013 Congressman Peter King (R-NY) suggested Greenwald arnt be arrested for his reporting on the NSA PRISM program and NSA leaker Edward Snowden. Journalist Andrew Ross Sorkin said “I mention anything about judgment [Snowden] and now I’d almost judgment Glenn Greenwald”,  but later made an Apology for his statement, welke Greenwald accepted.
Journalist David Gregory Accused Greenwald or aiding and abetting Snowden voordat Asking, “Why arnt not you, Mr. Greenwald, be Charged with a crime?” 
In a 2013 interview with Martha Raddatz of ABC News, Greenwald zegt dat members of Congress are being “blocked” from getting “the musts basic information about what NSA was doing … and what the FISA court has been doing ….” en specifiek referenced Rep. Dutch Ruppersberger (D-MD), a ranking member of the United States House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence ( “House Intelligence Committee”). Ruppersberger, who was a guest on the show, Responded, “We harbor rules as far as the committee and what u can port and what you can ‘t have. However, based on dat, dat statement I just made, is that since this incident occurred with Snowden, we’ve had three différent hearings for members of our Democratic Caucus and the Republican Caucus …. and we will continuous to do that Because what we’re Trying to do now is to get the American public to know more about what’s going on. ” Rep. King , who was ook a guest on This Week as a ranking member of the House Intelligence Committee, stated: “[T] o me it’s unprecedented to port all of These top people from an administration prolongation this time of crisis still come in and answer question after question after question. So anyone who says dat Congress is somehow being stonewalled is just wrong and [the question] is algemeen, I think, raised by people who are Trying to make a name for themselves. ” 
In a February 2014 interview Greenwald zegt he believed he risked detention if he reentered the US, but mention anything LIKELY return, he arnt win a prestigious journalism award.  Later dat month, it was announced dat he was onder the Recipients of the 2013 Polk Awards , to be conferred April 11, 2014 in Manhattan.  In a subsequent interview, Greenwald stated he mention anything attend the ceremony, and added: “I absolutely refuse to be Exiled from my own country for the crime of doing journalism and I’m going to force the issue just on principle. And I think going back for a ceremony like the Polk Awards or other forms of journalistic awards mention anything be a really good symbolic test or maintenance to put the government in the position of keeping to arrest journalists who are coming back to the US not to receive awards for the journalism ze port done. ”  On April 11, Greenwald and Laura Poitras accepted the Polk Award in Manhattan. Hoewel de hun entry into tje United States was trouble-free, they ‘traveled with an ACLU lawyer and a German journalist “to document ANY unpleasant surprises”. Accepting the award, Greenwald zegt he was “happy to see a table full or Guardian editors and journalists, Whose role in this story is much more integral dan the publicity algemeen onderkent”.  On April 14, the Pulitzer Prize for Public Service was Awarded Jointly to The Guardian and The Washington Post for revelation or widespread secret surveillance by the NSA. Greenwald, Along with Laura Poitras and Ewen MacAskill , had Contributed to The Guardian ‘s report. 
Greenwald, who is openly gay, lives in Rio de Janeiro , the home town of his partner, David Miranda.      Greenwald zegt in 2011 dat his residence in Brazil was a result of the Defense of Marriage Act , an American law barring federal recognition of same-sex marriages welke was overturned by the US Supreme Court two years later. The law had prevented his partner from Receiving a visa to reside in the United States with im. 
In 2016, Miranda was elected to the Rio de Janeiro City Council as part of the PSOL party, the first LGBT member ever to be elected. 
Greenwald comes from a Jewish background, albite largely non-Practicing, and was never Bar Mitzvahed , stating that ‘My parents With You to inculcate me a little bit JSON organized Judaism , but they’ ulcers not bijzonder devoted to therein, and my grandparents ulcers, but it just never took hold. ” He says dat he does believe in “the spiritual and mystical part of the world”, zoals Practicing yoga , but his moral `precepts” are not informed ‘any way to religious doctrine or, like, organized religion or anything. ” 
Greenwald has ook leg critical of the New Atheist movement, accusing Sam Harris and others binnen the movement of anti-Muslim animus. 
Greenwald has RECEIVED awards waaronder the first Izzy Award for independent journalism in 2009,  and the 2010 Online Journalism Award for Best Commentary.  His reporting on the National Security Agency (NSA) has won numerous other awards around the world, zoals top investigative journalism great prizes from the George Polk Award for National Security Reporting,  the 2013 Online Journalism Awards,  the Esso Award for Excellence in Reporting in Brazil for his articles in O Globo on NSA mass surveillance or Brazilians (Becoming the first foreigner to win the award),  the 2013 Libertad the expresión Internacional Award from Argentinian magazine Perfil ,  and the 2013 Pioneer Award from the Electronic Frontier Foundation .  In 2014, Greenwald RECEIVED the Geschwister-Scholl-Preis , an annual German literary award, for the German edition of No Place to Hide . 
- 2014 No Place to Hide: Edward Snowden, the NSA, and the US Surveillance State . Metropolitan Books (Div. Of Henry Holt and Company); ISBN 1-6277-9073-X (10); ISBN 978-1-62779-073-4 (13).
- 2011 With Liberty and Justice for Some: How the Law Is Used to Destroy Equality and Protect the Powerful . Metropolitan Books (Div. Of Henry Holt and Company); ISBN 0-8050-9205-6 (10). ISBN 978-0-8050-9205-9 (13).
- 2008 Great American Hypocrites : Toppling the Big Myths of Republican Politics . New York: Random House , ISBN 0-307-40802-7 (10); ISBN 978-0-307-40802-0 (13). (Also available as an e-book .)
- 2007 A Tragic Legacy : How a Good vs. Evil mentality Destroyed the Bush Presidency . New York: Crown (Div. Of Random House ) ISBN 0-307-35419-9 (10); ISBN 978-0-307-35419-8 (13). (Hardback ed.) Three Rivers Press , 2008; ISBN 0-307-35428-8 (10); ISBN 978-0-307-35428-0 (13). (Paperback ed.)
- 2006 How Would a Patriot Act? Defending American Values From a President Run Amok . San Francisco: Working Assets (Distrib. By Publishers Group West); ISBN 0-9779440-0-X (10); ISBN 978-0-9779440-0-2 (13).
- Jump up^ “Attorney Admissions from January 1, 1985 to Present” (PDF) . US Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit . Retrieved May 24, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Boadle Anthony (August 6, 2013). “Glenn Greenwald: Snowden Gave Me 15 to 20.000 Classified Documents” . Huffington Post . Retrieved August 9, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Greenwald, Glenn (2013-08-19). “Glenn Greenwald, detaining my partner was a failed attempt at intimidation” . The Guardian . London, UK.
- Jump up^ Stein, Gary (1985-03-13). “At 18, Future Holds Promise” . Sun Sentinel .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e “Glenn Greenwald” . Salon.com . Archived from the originalon 2010-02-15 . Retrieved 2008-12-13 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d Greenwald, Glenn (2006-07-20). “Response to Right-wing Personal Attacks: My Law Practice; My Sexual Orientation: Where I Live” . Unclaimed Territory . Retrieved 2007-02-02 . In the entry, he describes and sets the record straight about his legal career and related professional and personal matters.
- ^ Jump up to:a b Jessica Testa. “How Glenn Greenwald Became Glenn Greenwald” . Buzzfeed.com . Retrieved 2013-08-21 .
- Jump up^ “Matthew F. Hale v. Committee on Character and Fitness, et al” . United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Eastern Division. June 27, 2001. Archived from the original on December 15, 2008 . Retrieved March 12, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Edward Snowden and Glenn Greenwald: The Men Who Leaked the NSA’s Secrets | Politics News” . Rolling Stone. December 4, 2013 . Retrieved June 29, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Greenwald, Glenn (2013-06-26). “The personal side of taking on the NSA, emerging smears” . The Guardian .
- Jump up^ Greenwald, Glenn (2007-02-01). “Blog News” . Unclaimed Territory . Glenn Greenwald . Retrieved 2007-02-02 .
- Jump up^ Singal, Jesse (2007-09-17). “Glenn Greenwald: On Terrorism, Civil Rights, and Building a Blog” . Campus Progress (Muse) . Retrieved 2008-04-05 .
- Jump up^ Ambinder, Marc (2008-11-20). “Brennan, Harding Slated for Top Intelligence Jobs” . The Atlantic Monthly .
- Jump up^ Greenwald, Glenn (2008-11-16). “John Brennan and Bush’s interrogation / detention policies” . Salon.com . Retrieved 2008-12-12 .
- Jump up^ Sullivan, Andrew (2008-11-21). “No Way. No How. No Brennan” . The Daily Dish or No Party or Clique (Muse) . Theatlantic.com . Retrieved 2008-12-12 .
- Jump up^ “Letter from John Brennan to Barack Obama” . The Daily Dish or No Party or Clique Blog . TheAtlantic.com. 2008-11-25.
- Jump up^ “Brennan Out Of Running for Top Intelligence Post” . International Herald Tribune . The New York Times Company . 2008-11-25 . Retrieved 2008-12-15 .
- Jump up^ Hamsher, Jane (2008-11-25). ” ” The Rachel Maddow Show “for Tuesday November 25, 2008 Transcript” . The Rachel Maddow Show . MSNBC . Retrieved 2008-12-12 .
I think if Atrios zegt, Behold the power of Glenn Greenwald … Glenn, writing at Salon.com, had made a singular case Against Brennan and zegt really, this is Unacceptable.
- Jump up^ Byers, Dylan (July 19, 2012). “Glenn Greenwald to move to The Guardian” . Politico . Retrieved July 21, 2012 .
- Jump up^ Greenwald, Glenn; Ewen MacAskill; Spencer Ackerman (June 5, 2013). “NSA collecting phone records of millions of Verizon customers daily” . The Guardian . Retrieved June 6, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Bazelon, Emily (June 6, 2013). “Is the Government Snooping Through My Phone Calls?” . Slate . Retrieved June 6, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Cohen, Noam (June 6, 2013). “Blogger, With Focus on Surveillance, is at center or a Debate” . New York Times . Retrieved June 10, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Greenwald, Glenn (2012-07-19). “Glenn Greenwald Moves From Salon to Guardian US” . New York Times . Retrieved 2012-12-09 .
- Jump up^ Greenwald, Glenn (2012-07-19). “I’ll be writing in a new venue beginning next month” . Salon.com . Retrieved 2012-12-09 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Glenn Greenwald and the Guardian’s statements” . Archived from the original on October 16, 2013.
- Jump up^ “NSA leaks journalist Glenn Greenwald leaves the Guardian”, BBC News, 16 October 2013
- Jump up^ Mark Hosenball”Here’s Who’s Backing Glenn Greenwald’s New Website”,The Huffington Post, October 16, 2013.
- Jump up^ Dominic Rushe. “Pierre Omidyar commits $ 250m to new media venture with Glenn Greenwald” . the Guardian . Retrieved November 11, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “NSA reporter Glenn Greenwald partners with Billionaire eBay founder for new venture” . The Verge . Retrieved November 11, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Russell, Jon (February 10, 2014). “The Intercept, the first online publication from eBay founder Pierre Omidyar, is now live” . The Next Web . Retrieved February 10, 2014 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Goodman, Amy (2008-04-18). “Great American Hypocrites: Glenn Greenwald on the Corporate Media’s Failures in the 2008 Race” . Democracy Now! . Pacifica Radio . Retrieved 2008-12-12 .
- Jump up^ Greenwald, Glenn (2008-12-23). “Some Dopplermetingen after being involved in a Fox News report” . Salon.com . Retrieved 2008-12-23 .
- Jump up^ “Glenn Greenwald on the High Cost of Government Secrecy” . Bill Moyers & Company. 2013-04-26 . Retrieved 2013-04-26 .
- Jump up^ “Interview with Glenn Greenwald” . Bill Moyers’ Journal . 2008-12-12 . Retrieved 2008-12-12 .
- Jump up^ Moyers, Bill (2009-04-03). “Independent Journalism” . PBS . Retrieved 2009-04-03 .
- Jump up^ Michael Safi & Hannah Jane Parkinson (2014-09-15). “Kim Dotcom accuses New Zealand government or mass spying – live updates” . The Guardian.
- Jump up^ “The New York Times Book Review Best Sellers” (PDF) . The New York Times Book Review . The New York Times Company. 2006-06-11. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2007-12-01 . Retrieved 2008-12-12 .
- Jump up^ Garofoli, Joe (2006-05-12). “Book Tops Charts Before It’s Published” . San Francisco Chronicle . Retrieved 2008-12-12 .
There’s been no advertising for “How Would a Patriot Act”. Did not need any ‘. It was more important to get love from a handful of key bloggers, who plugged the 144-page book on hun sites, leading to a Virtually overnight advance sales bump this week – and a second printing of 20,000 copies. Patriot remained at the peak of the Amazon charts for days. … While Patriot parachuted to 293rd place at week’s end after hitting No. 1, the book’s publisher, the San Francisco phone company and liberal benefactor Working Assets , has leg encouraged to continuous zijn Fledgling program or plucking sharp bloggers to write politically pointed books.
- Jump up^ Greenwald, Glenn (2008-03-09). “Various items” . Salon.com .
- Jump up^ Hamm, Theodore (May 2008). “A Party of Frauds? Glenn Greenwald in conversation with Theodore Hamm” . The Brooklyn Rail .
- Jump up^ Glenn Greenwald. “No Place to Hide” . macmillan.com . Macmillan Publishers . Retrieved 2014-04-17 .
- Jump up^ “New York Times Best Sellers” . Nytimes.com . Retrieved November 11, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Staff (May 1, 2014). “10 best books of May 2014 volgens to Amazon’s editors” . Christian Science Monitor . Retrieved November 11, 2014 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Peter Maass (August 18, 2013) How Laura Poitras Helped Snowden Spill His Secrets The New York Times
- ^ Jump up to:a b How Edward Snowden led journalist and film-maker to Reveal NSA secrets , TheGuardian.com; Accessed March 19, 2016.
- Jump up^ Carmon, Irin (June 10, 2013). “How we broke the NSA story” . Salon .
- Jump up^ US filmmaker repeatedly Detained at Border. Salon.com (2012-04-08).
- Jump up^ Weinger, Mackenzie (June 10, 2013). “Barton Gellman, Glenn Greenwald Feud over NSA leaker” . Politico .
- Jump up^ Greenwald, Glenn. “NSA collecting phone records of millions of Verizon customers daily” . The Guardian . Retrieved August 16, 2013 .
Exclusive: Top secret court order Requiring Verizon to hand over all call data shows scale of domestic surveillance under Obama
- Jump up^ Fung, Catherine (April 20, 2014). “Glenn Greenwald reacts To Pulitzer Prize” . Huffington Post .
- Jump up^ “Guardian and Washington Post win a Pulitzer prize for NSA Revelations” (Press release). 2014-04-14.
- Jump up^ Savage, Charlie; Schwirtz, Michael (18 August 2013). “Britain Detains the Partner or a Reporter Tied to Leaks” . The New York Times . Retrieved 8 August 2016 .
- Jump up^ “US bepaald ‘heads up’ on David Miranda detention” . BBC News Online . August 19, 2013.
- Jump up^ Hosenball, Mark (2013-08-30), UK Asked NY Times to Destroy Snowden material , Reuters, archived from the original on 2013-08-31 , retrieved 2014-05-30
- Jump up^ Greenwald, Glenn (August 19, 2013). “Glenn Greenwald, detaining my partner was a failed attempt at intimidation” . The Guardian . London, UK.
- Jump up^ Owen Bowcott (November 6, 2013). “David Miranda lawyers argue dat Heathrow detention was unlawful” . The Guardian . Retrieved 2014-06-29 .
- Jump up^ Travis, Alan; Taylor, Matthew; Wintour, Patrick (February 19, 2014). “David Miranda detention at Heathrow airport was Lawful, high court rules” . The Guardian . London, UK . Retrieved July 31, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Barrett, David (October 11, 2013). ” ‘ Clear’ case for anti-terrorist powers-used to detain David Miranda, says human rights committee” . The Daily Telegraph . Retrieved August 3, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Romero, Simon. “Snowden Offers Help to Brazil in Spy Case”,New York Times, December 17, 2013.
- Jump up^ “Brazilian Government Denies Asylum to Snowden in Exchange for Information” . www1.folha.uol.com.br . Folha de S. Paulo. January 17, 2013 . Retrieved December 18, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Greenwald diz que dá espionagem vantagens Comerciais e industriais aos Estados Unidos” (in Portuguese). Federal Senate of Brazil . Retrieved August 13, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Greenwald diz que EUA espionam para obter vantagens Comerciais”(in Portuguese). Deutsche Welle . Retrieved August 13, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “NSA’s activity in Latin America is collection of data on oil and military Purchases from Venezuela, energy and Narcotics from Mexico” – Greenwald ” . Voice of Russia . Retrieved August 13, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Greenwald to MEPs: Government around the world benefit from Snowden’s choice” . European Parliament . Retrieved December 18, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Greenwald: UK poses’ primary threat ‘to EU citizens’ privacy” . Channel 4 . Retrieved December 18, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Greenwald, Glenn (2010-12-14). “Attempts to prosecute WikiLeaks endanger press Freedoms” . Salon.com . Retrieved 2011-03-20 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Greenwald, Glenn. “Preface” (PDF) . How Would a Patriot Act? . San Francisco: Working Assets , 2006. pp. 1-2. Archived from the original(PDF) on 2007-09-27 . Retrieved 2008-12-14 .
- Jump up^ Greenwald, Glenn (2006-07-21). “Rechecking the Balance of Powers” . In These Times . 30 (8) . Retrieved 2008-12-14 .
- Jump up^ Mena, Fernanda (2014-11-25). “Para jornalista, prender usuário the Drogas e desperdício” . Folha de S.Paulo (in Portuguese). Grupo Folha . Retrieved 2014-11-25 .
- Jump up^ Greenwald, Glenn (2014-11-25). “Glenn Greenwald on Twitter” . Twitter . Retrieved 2014-11-25 .
- Jump up^ Greenwald, Glenn (2009). “Drug Decriminalization in Portugal: Lessons for Creating Fair and Successful Drug Policies” (PDF) . CATO.org . Cato Institute . Retrieved 2014-11-25 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Silverstein, Ken (2008-02-21). “Six Questions for Glenn Greenwald on Campaign Coverage” . Harper’s Magazine . Retrieved 2008-12-15 .
- Jump up^ Greenwald, Glenn (2011-07-03). “Civil liberties under Obama” . International Socialist Organization . Retrieved 2011-07-07 .
- Jump up^ Greenwald, Glenn (2010-09-14). “Interview with Sen. Russ Feingold” . Salon.com . Retrieved 2013-08-21 .
- Jump up^ Hamsher, Jane (2010-05-01). “Accountability recruits First Candidate for 2010: Bill Halter” . Huffington Post .
- Jump up^ Greenwald, Glenn (March 29, 2012). “Three Congressional challengers very worth-supporting” . Salon . Retrieved June 11, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Jeffrey Goldberg (2012-01-26). “More on Glenn Greenwald, Israel-Firsters, and Idiot Editors (Updated)” . The Atlantic . Retrieved 2012-10-26 .
- Jump up^ Adam Levick (2012-07-25). “The Guardian and Glenn Greenwald: The anti-imperialism or fools” . The Times of Israel . Retrieved 2012-10-26 .
- Jump up^ David Bernstein (2012-01-28). “Glenn Greenwald and the neocons” . The Volokhh Conspiracy . Retrieved 2012-10-26 .
- Jump up^ “On the One Year Anniversary of Israel’s Attack on Gaza: an Interview with Max Blumenthal.” .
- Jump up^ Greenwald, Glenn (2010-07-01). “The odiousness of the distorted Godwin’s Law” . Salon.com . Retrieved 2013-08-21 .
- Jump up^ “Amnesty International condemns” inhuman “treatment of Bradley Manning” . The Raw Story . Raw Story . 2011-01-24.
- Jump up^ Greenwald, Glenn (2010-06-18). “The strange and consequential case of Bradley Manning, Adrian Lamo and WikiLeaks” . Salon.com . Retrieved 2011-03-20 .
- Jump up^ Tunku Varadarajan; Elisabeth Eaves; Hana R. Alberts (2009-01-22). “25 Most Influential liberals in the US media” . Forbes . Retrieved 2009-08-18 .
- Jump up^ “Who’s left? The top 20 US Progressives” . Newstatesman.com . Retrieved 2012-12-09 .
- Jump up^ Amira, Dan (2008-08-24). “Intelligencer: Conventional Wisdom” . New York . Retrieved 2008-12-12 .
Who’s the most popular? We developed a highly [sic] scientific formula to measure hun star power, counting blog, newspaper, magazine, and television news mentions so far this year, Google hits, and how many presidential debates (in the primaries or planned for the general election by ) ze moderated. Then, lycra pundit’s popularity in lycra category was calculated as a percentage of the Highest Score, and Those five percentage ulcers averaged. (So, theoretically, a dominating pundit who topped lycra tally mention anything end up with a popularity score of 100.) Here’s the top 40 …
- Jump up^ “Power Grid: Print / Online Columnists” . Mediaite . Retrieved 2009-07-06 .
- Jump up^ “Food for Thought” . Paul Krugman . 2009-07-09 . Retrieved 2009-07-09 .
- Jump up^ “Top 100 blogs” . Technorati . Retrieved 2008-12-16 .
- Jump up^ “What Is Authority?” . Support at Technorati . Archived from the original on 2008-04-30 . Retrieved 2008-12-15 .
- Jump up^ “The Atlantic 50” . Retrieved 2009-12-16 .
- Jump up^ “The Politix 50: Lord Are The Only Pundits You Need To Pay Attention To Between Now And The Election” . Business Insider. 2011-11-30 . Retrieved 2012-12-09 .
- Jump up^ “Digital Power Index: Opinionists” . Thedailybeast.com. 2012-06-24 . Retrieved 2012-12-09 .
- Jump up^ Nate Anderson,Spy Games: Inside the convoluted plot to bring down WikiLeaks, arstechnica.com, February 14, 2011; retrieved June 24, 2013.
- Jump up^ Josh Voorhees,IDPs Peter King Wants Glenn Greenwald Arrested, slate.com, June 12, 2013; retrieved June 24, 2013.
- Jump up^ Erik Wemple,Greenwald: Beltway media types are ‘courtiers to power’, Washington Post , June 24, 2013.
- Jump up^ David Gregory Spars with Glenn Greenwald,Associated Press/POLITICO.com, June 23, 2013; retrieved June 24, 2013.
- Jump up^ ‘This Week’ Transcript: Gen. Martin Dempsey, Reps. Ruppersberger and King, and Glenn Greenwald,ABC News, August 4, 2013; retrieved August 20, 2013.
- Jump up^ Beutler, Brian (2014-02-06). “Escalating on Despite government intimidation, Greenwald will” force the issue “and visiting US” . Salon . Retrieved 2014-03-21 .
- Jump up^ Pengelly, Martin (2014-02-16). “Journalists who broke NSA story in Guardian geselecteerd George Polk Awards” . The Guardian . Retrieved 2014-03-21 .
- Jump up^ Gosztola, Kevin (2014-02-19). “Journalist Glenn Greenwald suggests He is LIKELY to Return to US to Accept Polk Award” . The Dissenter . Retrieved 2014-03-21 .
- Jump up^ Ravi Somaiya and Noam Cohen (April 11, 2014), Journalists Who Broke News on NSA Surveillance Return to the US , New York Times
- Jump up^ “A Pulitzer Triumph: Snowden reporting profit journalism’s top prize” . April 14, 2014 . Retrieved April 20, 2014 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Glenn Greenwald: Life Beyond Borders” . Out.com. 2011-04-18 . Retrieved 2012-12-09 .
- Jump up^ “Glenn Greenwald interview” . New Zealand Listener . 2012-02-04 . Retrieved 2012-12-09 .
- Jump up^ Art of The Possible (2006-01-16). “Interview with Glenn Greenwald” . Art of the Possible Blog . Retrieved 2008-12-13 .
- Jump up^ “Glenn Greenwald’s Husband elected to Rio City Council”,Advocate, October 2, 2016.
- Jump up^ Michael Paterniti. “The Man Who Knows Too Much” . GQ .
- Jump up^ Glenn Greenwald. “Sam Harris, the New Atheists and anti-Muslim animus” . The Guardian .
- Jump up^ “Glenn Greenwald And Amy Goodman Share Inaugural Izzy Award For Independent Media” . Ithaca News Release . Ithaca College . 2009-03-05. Archived from the original on 2009-03-05 . Retrieved 2009-03-12 .
- Jump up^ “Online Journalism Awards 2010” . Online Journalism Awards . 2010-10-31 . Retrieved 2010-10-31 .
- Jump up^ “LIU Announces 2013 George Polk Awards in Journalism” (Press release). 2014-01-16.
- Jump up^ Martin Pengelly. “Guardian gain two online journalism awards for NSA Files reporting” . theguardian.com . Retrieved 2014-06-29 .
- Jump up^ “Premio Esso the Jornalismo 2013” . Premioesso.com.br . Retrieved 2014-06-29 .
- Jump up^ “Premios Perfil a la Libertad the expresión y la inteligencia 2013” . Perfil.com . Retrieved 2014-06-29 .
- Jump up^ “EFF Pioneer Awards 2013” . Electronic Frontier Foundation. 2013-09-19 . Retrieved 2014-06-29 .
- Jump up^ “Preisträger 2014: Glenn Greenwald” [Award recipient 2014: Glenn Greenwald] . geschwister-scholl-preis.de . Börsenverein des Deutschen Buchhandels – Landes Mortgage Bayern eVnd . Retrieved 2014-10-01 .